Saturday, February 11, 2012

It's time to get crafty..

Along the way searching for the 'perfect' farm property a few things have become very evident; 'nice' things don't stay 'nice' for too long on a farm, homemade substitutions are the norm rather than the exception AND lastly, it is going to cost A LOT more than I thought to buy our dream property. Normally if I want something I just get it, usually from one of my favorite designers. I needed a new grooming tote/box for around the barn and shows but, given the aforementioned conclusions, I decided NOT to get the Hermés Tote that would be PERFECT and instead come up with an alternative solution. My trainer uses this old olive jar tote box that not only looks cool but is very functional. I decided to go online and search it out, sounds easy right?! -not so much! What I didn't take into consideration was the fact that my trainer, who has been in the business for 4o years, won her grooming box 25 years ago at a horse show. After countless online hours searching for alternatives I still came up empty. Old Urban-Noël would have viewed this a sign from God that I was MEANT to have the Hermés tote but NEW Country-Noël decided to roll up my sleeves and get down and dirty. After finding some wine crates it was decided, we were going to make our own! Below you will see the inspiration and our final result. You will notice that I chose to use a few different wine crates so the markings on the grooming box would be a bit unique. Also, please note that we ended up using crates to include the date 2oo5 to represent Clarke's birth year and 2oo9 for the year I started riding again. Now in 25 years mine should have the same vintage feel as my trainers. Oh and I do have one teeny confession, although I did go all crafty, you will note I DID get an Hermés dandy brush ;)



The vintage box that was our inspiration.               The finished project filled up.



The inside stamp with the year 2oo9.                     The back of the box with the 2oo5 stamp.








No comments:

Post a Comment