Friday, February 3, 2012

I promised I would let you in on the affect on our lives bringing Puppy John Doe home has had. Letting you in on the naming process might be the best example to give you some insight..

The shelter gave him the name Hershel because he was brown; I was not really featuring this name and figured as foster parents the least we could do is give this lil guy a good name. What I did not count on was exactly how hard it would be for BOTH Robb and I to agree on a name. We had both our dogs before we met and I am the rider so naming the horse was left to me. To be perfectly honest, most of the time I just pretty much do things and then ask for opinions (aka approval) afterwards. I liked Jackson or Jax to start off with but Robb said that I was not allowed to use any names of people I had dated, NO matter how LONG AGO it had been, so that was out. We literally started thinking of names on Friday and by Sunday Puppy John Doe was NO closer to having a name, with the exception of Slater which lasted about 3 hours. I would come up with a name that Robb would like then I would change my mind. Robb would come up with a name that I didn't like and so the battle went on. Needless to say there were some 'tense' moments ALL over naming a dog that wasn't ours! Here are a few of the short-listed names: Remington, Hemingway, Huck, Oliver, Hunter, Winston, Harrison, Trask, Redford, Rexford, Indy, Cooper, Gage, Gabriel and Charlie (and those were just the finalists!). We ended up with Sawyer, named after Tom Sawyer, a child adventurer with a great imagination. Sawyer has definitely lived up to his adventurous name (he did leave home at 5 weeks old) bounding all around the house, up and down ALL the stairs (there are 5 levels) with NO FEAR at all. Having such a young puppy is similar in very many ways to having a young baby- sleepless nights, visits to the Doctor, different parenting methods, and an instantaneous love that seemingly comes out of thin air. Sawyer has definitely changed our lives in these few short days and the naming was just the tip of the iceberg.



     Sawyer had to get 'snipped' before leaving Shelter and thus the Cone of Shame.






No comments:

Post a Comment